September 03, 2019

New Poetry Book! CATFISH AND AFTER


Catfish and After, poetry by Gene Hult, from Brighten Press

In the throes of an exciting but bewildering love affair conducted entirely in intense, constant text with a sexy and smart deaf architect on the chat app Grindr, I started writing poetry about it when he repeatedly refused to meet. Following months of increasingly fraught but non-stop conversation, he ghosted me entirely, and I couldn't find him anywhere. I couldn't confirm a single thing he'd told me. When he finally returned, it was with a story stranger and more disappointing, more heartbreaking, than anything I'd feared. I had been catfished by a fraud.

Those months of poems were whittled down to form the 30-page long poem Catfish

In the aftermath, I kept writing, detailing the psychic, emotional, creative, and romantic reconstruction in the wake of that shock of dashed hopes. Those separate poems are collected in the cycle After.



No comments: