January 05, 2012

Michele Bachmann Hoisted by Her Own Petard

Ding, dong, the witch is dead.

I'm deeply thrilled that Michele Bachmann had a poor showing in Iowa and had to drop out of the presidential race. Just looking into her crazy eyes always flooded my mind with sudden images of concentration camps, nuclear fireballs, and being forced to have sex while sitting on top of Faye Dunaway.  So good riddance.

While I would love to believe that the Iowans rejected her pandering, retro religiosity, outright lies, and hate spew, that doesn't explain why Rick Santorum did so well with the same voters.  After all, he preaches nearly the same closed-minded God-buggered inanity that she does. So why embrace the Frothy Mix and reject Crazy Eyes?
Michelle Goldberg over at the Daily Beast has an excellent article, Did Sexism Do Michele Bachmann In?, that offers a partial explanation. Basically, Goldberg suggests that the religious zealots Bachmann courted with her anti-woman, anti-gay, anti-reason, anti-progressive line of bullshit actually believed her . . . and sent the uppity woman packing back to the kitchen where she can support her obvious homo of a husband and not try to run the country.  I'm paraphrasing.
While I nurture my own misogyny (don't get me started on girls in gay bars), I would have voted for Hillary Clinton for president in a heartbeat.  And I'm really impressed with our senator in New York, Kirsten Gillibrand.  Because they are rational, forward thinking human beings.  Hillary gave one of the best gay rights speeches I've ever heard.  Not that that's enough of a reason to vote for her, but it helps.
My first thought on reading the headline "Did Sexism Do Michele Bachmann In?" was OF COURSE NOT.  It was her madness that did her in. But after reading Goldberg's article, I realized, yes, yes, ultra-conservative voters would indeed follow the sexism that Bachmann herself championed.
Ahh . . . karma's a bitch, ain't it?

No comments: